Ifi Gemini (USB cable) - review

Disclaimer: A big thank you to Ifi for providing me with the Gemini cable for this review.

This is my first review of a cable, it's also the first cable from Ifi and what a cable it is. The core idea behind the Gemini is a dual-headed design that completely separates the data and power of a USB audio signal. If you would like to read more about the cable design, shielding, or the custom RF silencers I suggest checking out the Ifi Gemini page for more details.

I have tuned my expectations for small benefits when dealing with cable upgrades, but I think it's especially important to remain open minded when dealing with audio quality. Despite initially having some doubts I was very impressed by Ifi's iTube buffer. Like a headphone cable upgrade - the Gemini is positioned for an even finer granularity of improvement, but it's important to realize that it's right at the beginning of the audio chain, so whatever improvements it offers the potential is clear. I'm aware that there's a great deal of skepticism surrounding cables and that's especially true of digital cables. I've read the arguments for both camps and I can see where they're both coming from. 
     MY THOUGHTS
Cutting to the chase - I felt that the Gemini did indeed give an improvement to the sound. So, there you have it, yet another thing that I've been skeptical about previously that Ifi has made me a believer in. I found that the smoothness was improved and detail was generally 'cleaner' with the Gemini. Instrument rendition also felt more cohesive (more realistic) and details felt more clear. 

Despite being pleasantly surprised by having any improvement at all, I wasn't so surprised where these improvements were and how noticeable they were. I didn't find any changes in bass or treble response, indeed there shouldn't be. I don't think it will shock anyone that I'd rate the improvements from the Gemini below that of good Amplification or even a DAC. I'd even place the improvements below that of the Ifi iTube, but I did very much appreciate the subtleties of both devices when added to a system that gave a nice presentation to begin with. What may surprise you is that I would currently place the sound improvements of the Gemini above that of a headphone cable upgrade.

     WHO IS THE GEMINI FOR
If you're looking to squeeze every last drop of potential from your system, or just want to make completely sure that your sound is getting as little interference as possible then the a cable like the Gemini is definitely worth trying. I wouldn't recommend it if your DAC and amplifier cost less than the Gemini itself. Not because it won't improve it, but simply because the money can almost certainly be better spent elsewhere. For those who don't want to be embarrassed by the free cable that came with your DAC then £20 will fix your aesthetics, but the Gemini is certainly a more sophisticated beast than most. It's the only one that I've seen that offers a reasonable explanation as to why it might improve sound. It's on the higher end of the price scale, although I have seen more expensive than this:
  • 70cm - £165
  • 1.5m - £225
At these prices the Gemini will most interest those who've already spent quite a bit on their system already and that's fair, but I should also point out that it's not the only solution that Ifi provides for purifying the power supply. They also the iUSB Power - a powered purification system that can be used on it's own or with the Gemini. I will be reviewing the iUSB Power next so watch this space. The below image shows almost the entire range of Ifi products, which I am currently using together for listening pleasure.
The connection in order goes: iUSB > Gemini > iDAC > iTube > iCAN
The maximum combination for computer headphone listening costs around £1000. I found that it provided a really high quality sound and it was one that I kept going back to when I was testing the Hifiman HE-500 recently. I like that it can be bought by started with a single box (iDAC) and then gradually expanded as funds become available. 

     BUILD
With two thick braided cables, rugged Aluminium / gold connectors and three ceramic isolation blocks the Gemini is a serious looking cable. It almost justifies it's price on the design, build and material front alone. It's worth mentioning that the Gemini is as heavy as it looks, but I don't see this bothering many people since it'll be mostly used at home anyway. Saying that, I suppose there's no reason why someone wouldn't want to use the Gemini with a laptop and small DAC/amp (like the iDAC for example). In this regard I wish there was a shorter version of the Gemini, say 30cm or possibly even less, but I can understand the demand being quite low for this. Ifi told me that they are working on other cables, but this option is currently not one of them.

     FINAL WORDS
I did find the Gemini to give an improvement in sound quality, even if it's one of the more subtle changes that I have noticed. It's a nice option to have if you're looking to squeeze the last ounce of performance from an already good system. The fact that it's built like a tank and looks cool is a nice little bonus.


     EQUIPMENT USED
Dell Vosto Laptop, Schiit PYST, Denon AH-D7000, Hifiman HE-500, SoundMAGIC HP200, Mr. Speakers Mad Dog, Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro Limited Edition

Home - About - Order - Testimonial
Copyright © 2010 Whatever You Can Read All Rights Reserved.